Classic Chicken Pot Pie by Wolfgang Puck
Recipe & Photo credit: https://wolfgangpuck.com/dining/recipes/
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons snipped chives
3/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 egg yolks
6 tablespoons heavy cream
- CHICKEN & VEGETABLES
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 stalk celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 pound cremini or shiitake mushrooms, sliced 1 x 10 ounce package frozen pearl onions, thawed
3/4 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 egg with 1 tablespoon water, beaten
- Prepare the pastry: Place the flour and chives in a bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingertips, work in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the cheese and work in until just blend. In a small bowl, whisk together the yolks and 5 tablespoons of the cream. Sprinkle the yolk mixture over the pastry dough, a little at a time, stirring with a fork until pastry comes together. Add remaining cream if necessary. Knead lightly until just combined. Press pastry into a circle. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the butter and vegetable oil. Sauté the chicken for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned but not cooked through. With slotted spoon, remove chicken to bowl.
- In the same pan over medium-high heat sauté the carrots, celery and mushrooms 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove vegetables to another bowl. Stir thawed pearl onions and peas into vegetables.
- Prepare the sauce: In the same pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until the mixture is bubbling and smooth, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in stock, cream, and thyme. Return skillet to heat, bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes until sauce has thickened and is smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in reserved chicken and vegetables. Set aside to cool for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spoon cooled chicken and vegetable mixture into a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry into a circle 11-inches in diameter. Place pastry on top of chicken mixture. Trim pastry edge, fold overhang under and press gently all around the baking dish to make a decorative edge. Reroll any trimmings and cut out to make a decorative design for top of pie. Brush pastry with beaten egg wash. Using a knife, cut 3 slits in center of pie.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown, chicken and vegetables are tender and filling is heated through.